Help In Our Weakness
May 26, 2019
By Tom Bedford
Romans 8 Intro- We have eternal life through Jesus Christ.
- This is not based upon our human ability and strength to live up to God's laws alone.
- The Holy Spirit is producing in us the ability to serve God and choose Him.
- Our hope is in eternity with Christ.
- Our best life is not here in a first world context where things are pleasant.
- People in other places are suffering today and cling to the hope of eternity with God on the other side of their struggle.
- The church is to always be ready for the return of the Lord.
We face trials in our pursuit of eternity- Winds and waves constantly are attempting to take us off course as we pursue God.
- We need wisdom and help to stay the course.
- Sometimes it seems God is working in ways that make us hard to see Him know what He is doing in the moment.
Romans 8:26-37- The Spirit helps our weakness.
- Weakness is not a sin. To not admit that we are weak and needful of God is the sin of pride.
- The religious leaders that killed Jesus could not admit their need for Him. (John 9:35-41)
- Our weakness keeps us in need of God and therefore have relationship with Him.
- We do not know what to do but our eyes are on you. (2 Chronicles 20:12)
- Sometimes we do no know what to pray due to not having enough understanding or seeing clearly.
Trauma and pain can hinder the ability to move forward- The things we suffer in life can be so harsh and damaging that we can be left disoriented and shaken.
- Accidents and events not by our doing can occur and cause us to lose grip with ability to function.
- Evil spirits can become attached to us and wreak havoc creating a need in us to be free of them.
- Through much tribulation we enter the Kingdom of God. (Acts 14:22)
The Holy Spirit helps us pray- When we do not know pray, we can end up praying out of our human emotion and unresolved motives.
- Utterances too deep for words. Praying in the Holy Spirit (speaking in tongues) is the intercession of the Holy Spirit working in our lives.
- When we are at the end of things in our human ability, we lay before God to pray in the Spirit until we are clear and in faith.
- The Holy Spirit keeps us in faith by keeping us in prayer in the Spirit. This is one way the Holy Spirit is working intercession in us.